Saturday 2 January 2010

Father Forgets

FATHER FORGETS


PART 2

Well, son, it was shortly afterwards that my paper slipped from my hands and a terrible sickening fear came over me. What has habit been doing to me? The habit of finding fault, of reprimanding - this was my reward to you for being a boy. It was not that I did not love you; it was that I expected too much of youth. I was measuring you by the yardstick of my own years. 

And there was so much that was good and fine and true in your character. The little heart of you was as big as the dawn itself over the wide hills. This was shown by your spontaneous impulse to rush in and kiss me good night. Nothing else matters tonight, son. I have come to your bedside in the darkness, and I have knelt there, ashamed!

It is feeble atonement; I know you would not understand these feelings if I told them to you during your waking hours. But tomorrow I will be a real daddy! I will chum with you, suffer when you suffer, and laugh when you laugh. I will bite my tougue when impatient words come. I will keep saying as if it were a ritual : "He is nothing but a boy - a little boy!"

I am afraid I have visualized you as a man. Yes as I see you now, son, crumpled and weary in your cot, I see that you are still a baby. Yesterday you were in your mother's arms, your head on her shoulder. I have asked too much, too much.



**************************************************************

How many, how many have cried in the shadow, unable to meet up to your parent's expectations? How many turned green when your daddy ask you to show him your report card? How many turn into rebellious teenagers just to get back at them for making you look timid? BUT how many could understand the love they shower over us? 

Because you don't understand their perception, YOU SHOUTED and said you have generation gaps. YOU SHOUTED and say they are old-fashioned, out-dated, mood-spoilers, and they dont understand you! Do you? Do you even understand yourself? 

You smoke, you club, you drink, you fail every single paper in college. So this is you?

Whenever you have the opportunity, take a step back, ask yourself, what could you do for your parents, if you could love them as much as they loves you. If you could also be in their shoes for a minute, think from their perspective, then you will know how much they had sacrificed for you. 


I LOVE YOU, DADDY AND MUMMY!!!!!

 

0 comments: